When you move your website from one host to another, the process is known as migration. There are many possible variations in a website migration, but the basic steps are:
- Open an account at the new host and note your FTP information for moving files.
- Download a copy of your site files from the current host.
- Upload your site files to the root directory in your account at the new host.
- If you are moving your email as well, enable email service at the new host and set up your email users.
- Change the name servers for your domain to point to the new host. DNS updates can take a few minutes up to 24 hours, depending on your ISP. If possible, leave your site up and running at your old host for a day or two after you've completed your move. That way visitors whose DNS doesn't update quickly will still see the site on the old server, even after you've moved.
Check with the new host for mailbox migration options.
Moving a site that is database-driven is a bit more complicated, so we won't go into the steps here. But if you are migrating your site to Winhost, remember that we will move your site for free!