Supported versions of Microsoft .NET framework
We support Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8, 4.7.x, 4.6.x, 4.5.2, 3.5 and 2.0 on Winhost web servers.
You can switch the framework version in Control Panel, in the ASP.NET Version section of Site Tools.
ASP.NET Core 3.x, .NET Core 2.x, and .NET Core 1.x are also supported, in both framework-dependent deployment and self-contained deployment modes
Here is a list of .NET Core versions that are supported with Framework-dependent deployment.
If the .NET Core version you want to use is not listed, you can use Self-contained deployment for your .NET Core application.
For ASP.NET Core, set the ASP.NET version to 4.x in Control Panel.
Supported Visual Studio versions
Most versions of Visual Studio and Visual Web Developer are supported. You may run in to issues with some older versions.
Testing your site on Winhost before updating your domain's name servers
We assign every account a secondary FTP address and URL so you can upload your files and check your site before your domain is pointed to our servers. The secondary FTP address and URL will be immediately available when your account is set up.
How long will it take for your domain name to work with our service
For new domain registrations, your domain should be active within an hour or two. For customers using an existing domain name, your domain should be active within an hour or two of updating your domain's name server with the Winhost DNS information (in some outlying cases propagation can take up to 72 hours).
After sign up, we provide you with a secondary FTP address and URL which you can use to upload and view your web site while you are waiting for your new domain to be registered or your domain's name server updates to be completed.
How to FTP files before your domain resolves to Winhost
We assign every account a secondary static FTP address so you can upload your files before your domain fully resolves to our servers. The secondary FTP address will be immediately available when your account is set up. This is useful for those who want to get started right away whether you are registering a new domain or using an existing domain.
We also assign every account a secondary URL so you can view your site before your domain fully resolves to our servers. For those who will be using an existing domain, you can use the secondary URL to test your web site before pointing your domain to our servers.
Web-based email is provided at no extra charge as part of our service.
Domain name registration and fees
Our current price for new domain registration starts at $15.87 per year. Here's a complete domain pricing list.
We can register the following domain extensions: .com, .net, .org, .biz, .cloud, .club, .info, .name, .pro, .store, .xyz.
Domain whois privacy protection is available for an additional $8.95 per year. Domain privacy protection service can also be added to any existing domain registration. Domain whois privacy service is available only for domains registered by Winhost. Fees cannot be prorated. The full fee will be charged regardless of how much time remains on your domain's current registration.
When we register a domain name on your behalf, we will protect your domain by locking the registration to prevent unauthorized changes.
Using a domain name you already own at Winhost
You can use your existing domain name either as the primary domain name for a new site, or as the domain pointer for your existing site. In either case, you will have to update the name server entries for your domain to point to our servers.
Using a hosting account without a domain name
You must specify a domain name when signing up for web hosting services. You can either purchase a new domain name or use an existing domain name that you have registered elsewhere.
If you sign up for an account using an existing domain name, it is up to you to initiate the name server update so your domain name will resolve to our servers. We provide a secondary FTP address so you can upload files to the web server, and a secondary URL to view your site while the name server changes propagate.
The account registration form does not check if the domain name exists or if it is owned by you.
Internationalized domain names
While we do support all traditional country code domains, we do not support Internationalized Domain Names (IDN) that use languages other than English. IDN’s are domain names that use the native language of specific countries, for example, .??, ???., .???????, .???.
Recovering your website from backups
We perform daily system backups as part of our emergency recovery plan, however, our services do not include backup storage of your web site. We recommend that you maintain a backup of your web site and database on your local computer.
If necessary, we can access our backups to retrieve web site files, however we charge a $30 fee to perform the search and file recovery. We cannot guarantee that the files that we recover will be the most recent snapshot of your site.
If you're looking for an automated backup solution that you control, check out our SiteBackup service. It backs up your site files and databases, and you have full control over the schedule and backup file retention period. Automate your backups with SiteBackup.
Accepted forms of payment
We accept credit card payments from Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover.
General Information on the Winhost data center facility
- Concrete Tilt-Up Construction
- 24 inch raised floor
- Steel Seismic Bracing added to meet the 1997 Seismic / Earthquake codes (Title 24 Seismic) for Los Angeles area
- All racks / cabinets are seismically braced and bolted directly to the concrete flooring
- Dimax – Building Management / Alarm Monitoring System
- Power and data cables are run perpendicular from each other to minimize any electrical field interaction
- Janitorial service is bonded, insured and licensed
- 7/16 inch thick steel sheeting around the front door and within the front reception area
- 2 level, man-trap, security access – before actually being able to enter the raised floor area
- 256+ - fixed positioned, security cameras
- All camera footage is recorded and held for a minimum of 30 days
- Level 5 bullet-resistant walls / glass (Kevlar Lined walls) in the front entry, lobby, guard station, and shipping and receiving areas
- 24 x 7 x 365 on-site security guards
- Security service is bonded
- No signage on building
- Data Center temperature maintained at 72 degrees +/- 2 degrees
- Thermostats / Humidistats are located around the building on the walls, posts and ceilings
- 16 – 135 Ton air conditioners N+6 – all 16 are running continuously w/redundant capacity
- 6 – 135 Ton air conditioners support redundant capacity
- 2 – 30 ton air-conditioners independently support NOC and NODE
- Air handlers are located on the roof (roof access is restricted and monitored)
- Supply air temperature entering the IDC averages 55 – 62% varying with load conditions
- Ring duct in ceiling allows us to add diffusers (vents) where needed to provide additional air flow
- Two 125 Ton A/C Units, and one 70 Ton unit is dedicated to UPS Room
- Pager notification service with California Independent System Operator (ISO) to monitor California utility power Stage Alerts and rolling black outs
- 6 main electrical distribution buses
- 24 MGE UPS's
- 10 Caterpillar 2000KW (2.0MW) generators
- Each generator has 3,000 gals of diesel fuel – enough to power it for 22 hours at full load
- 4 – 12,000 gal. Diesel Fuel storage convault tanks (in addition to the primary fuel tanks) provide enough fuel to run generators continuously for 72 hours at full load
- UPS batteries support data center load until automatic transfer to generator is completed
- 50 power management modules (PMM's) with 168 – 20 amp power circuits from each 165KVA power distribution unit (PDU); customized circuits provided as needed
- Power is served to the PDUs via 2 separate independent UPS power sources
- Each PDU has it's own Automatic Static Transfer Switch which can switch the power to the alternate source within 4 milliseconds
- Contracts with local fuel companies to provide additional on-site fuel, once generators are started
- VESDA – Very Early Smoke Detection and Alarm system; small white 'air sampling tubes' draw air into chambers, where lasers analyze the air for smoke content
- Clean-Gas hand-held fire extinguishers are through-out the building
- Fire station located approximate 600 feet from the data center
- Heat (140 degree) and smoke detectors are located on the ceilings around the building
- Redundant OC48s
- X – 4 inch conduits for telco fiber leading to the street
- Multiple redundant network paths
- All network operators certified Internet systems engineers